The Carthaginian era to the reconquest
There are many prehistoric remains found within our district. The most important are the two axes of Neolithic, and Roman site of «Lacimurga Iulia Constantia», which reached its peak in the second century BC
Close to the existing castle, are the ruins of an earlier one called «Old Castle», a reference to the Carthaginians remains found in Puebla de Alcocer. A renowned historian located in our village, the ancient city Carthaginian of Akra-Leukra.
The first known settlement population was located on the plain of the mountain range called «Old Village» for reasons not entirely proven, the core population was changing location until sited in the current position, on the side of the mountain by the castle, thus the population was protected by a defensive wall of which currently remains.
On the origin of the village name, it is believed that the most appropriate option is the term Al-Qusayr, meaning «walled city» or «walled enclosure» in Arabic.
Medieval, Golden Age in Puebla de Alcocer
The Council of Toledo, awarded the first letter of population to Puebla de Alcocer on 2nd February 1288. The letter, written by the king granted a number of privileges in order to obtain the repopulation of the area. Due to the fact that the town was an important center of colonization in the twelfth century, Alfonso XI granted in 1326, the authorization of two annual fairs to be held. Puebla de Alcocer depended on the jurisdiction of Toledo and encompassed several minor villages.
It was declared a village in 1441 and granted to Don Gutierre de Sotomayor, Master of the Order of Alcántara, forming since then part of the County of Belalcazar. During that time it had many difficult changes, as the Village belonged to several gentlemen and territories.
Many of the architectural works that were made, are a reflection of the brightness of Puebla de Alcocer in medieval times:
- The parish church of Santiago Apóstol (Santiago Apostle) has important frescos (murals) of the thirteenth century, in addition it hosts the one who was the «second marco polo» of history, Fray Fernando de Moraga.
- The castle of Puebla de Alcocer, remodeled in the fifteenth century, was a military stronghold which dominated Siberia and Serena.
- The convent of San (Saint) Francisco, hosted an important congregation of Franciscans and the convent of the Visitation, an important congregation of sisters from an enclosed monastery.
The historical importance of Puebla de Alcocer is reflected in the dedication of the first part of Don Quixote, which provides the work for their chivalry gifts and patronage to the Duke of Béjar, 10th Viscount of Puebla de Alcocer.
Territorial Legislation nineteenth and twentieth centuries
The provincial division in Spain of 1833 incorporated all the people of Siberia to the Extremadura province of Badajoz.
This division was completed with the subdivision into judicial districts which took place in 1834. The people of the region formed the parties of Herrera del Duque and Puebla de Alcocer.
This division into judicial parties remained until the second half of the twentieth century. Each party went on to become a reference not only judicial but alsoadministrative, electoral, collectingandtrading.